Prevention: The Best Medicine in General Dentistry
At Dr. Joe Dentistry, we believe the best kind of general dentistry is the kind that keeps our patients healthy and happy. There is no better treatment than prevention. By following our preventative care principles, patients can save a lot of money and time each year. We recommend the following:
- Brushing AND Flossing: You should brush and floss twice each and every day. This helps prevent plaque buildup, which can lead to cavities, gum disease and more. The best time to brush and floss is once after breakfast and again after dinner.
- Deep Cleanings: Even though you may brush and floss as recommended, there are still plaque buildups that at-home techniques simply cannot handle. A deep cleaning is a common part of general dentistry and can get rid of the plaque that can build up in your gums, where toothbrush bristles and floss cannot reach. You should get a deep cleaning once every six months to a year.
- Comprehensive Exams: Rather than simply diagnose any current problems with your teeth, a comprehensive dental exam can cover a wide range of important aspects related to your overall dental hygiene. Exams may include X-rays of your jaw to check that your bite is not out of alignment; examination of the soft tissues and glands of the mouth, such as the salivary glands, to ensure there is no problem with how they function or any risk of cancer; and many other types of preventative checks. You should have a comprehensive exam performed every three years.
- Regular Exams: Your standard dental checkup should be scheduled at least once a year in order to diagnose any general dentistry problems early, before they can become more serious, more expensive, situations.
Preventative Care Saves You Money
The best way to keep from experiencing the discomfort and expense of dental problems relies on staying regular and responsible. We’ve observed that patients following our preventative care guidelines by practicing routine dental hygiene save an average of $3,000 each year! This is because the people who maintain excellent oral hygiene are much less likely to need costly restorative general dentistry treatments such as crowns and dental implants. Moreover, when you take care of your teeth on a regular basis the chances of getting gum disease, cavities, etc., are decreased drastically.
Although our focus is always prevention, we offer a wide range of dental services. Our services and treatments for both general dentistry and cosmetic dentistry including the following:
- Dental Crowns and Esthetic Crowns
- Dental X-Rays
- Dental Exams
- Teeth Cleanings
- Teeth Whitening
- Dental Implants
- Dental Extractions
We Care About You!
The primary goal of Dr. Joe Dentistry is to provide all our patients with the most effective, friendly cosmetic and general dentistry possible. We do not push the most expensive treatments; instead, we work hard to help you avoid costly procedures by discussing the various ways you can prevent problems before they start. With regular brushing and flossing, as well maintaining a routine of scheduled dental exams, you can keep your smile bright and healthy for years to come.